To care for each other and connect our resolve against racism, members of the Columbus Academy community, both past and present, gathered in the school's stadium on June 11 to hear speakers sharing what this moment means to them and what they hope to see happen next as we all move forward.
Following an acapella performance of “Let There Be Peace on Earth” by rising freshman Alaina West ‘24, speakers included Upper School Dean of Students Dr. Pascal Losambe, rising junior Zora Brown, rising seniors Vaughn Armour, Tsega Seleshi and Olivia Pierre-Louis ‘21, alumni Dalyn DeCree ‘19 and Morgan Harper ‘01, Middle School Counselor Shekyra DeCree and parent Dee Moultrie. Thank you as well to Head of Middle School Shaka Arnold for concluding the event with a reflection on our own work and collective path forward.
For more recent communications and information regarding Academy's stance on racial injustice, please click on the following links:
- Update on Anti-Racism Efforts at Academy (community-wide letter sent on August 6, 2020)
- Moving Forward, Together (June 6 letter from Dr. Beckett Broh, Director of Diversity and Community Life)
- What to Do as an Ally in Times of Racial Injustice (video by Dr. Pascal Losambe, Dean of Upper School)
- Amidst the Chaos (May 31 letter from Melissa Soderberg, Head of School)
- Dear African American Students (May 30 email from Dr. Pascal Losambe, Dean of Upper School)
- Responding to the Protests (editorial by The Academy Life student journalists)