Standing Together Against Racism
To care for each other and connect our resolve against racism, members of the Columbus Academy community, both past and present, gathered in the school's stadium on June 11, 2020, to hear speakers sharing what this moment means to them and what they hope to see happen next as we all move forward.
United Against Racism
In June 2020, we came together as a community to unite our resolve against racism and amplify the voices of Black students, alumni, parents and staff at our “Standing Together Against Racism” event. That evening, we committed to taking action and creating meaningful change in our community.
Our work began with dozens of conversations listening to our community members of their experiences and needs. For most of the summer and into this fall, we proceeded with a schoolwide, in-depth reflection on our practices and identified actions we can take to better support students of color, address racism and educate for racial competency.
With the input and unanimous endorsement of our Board of Trustees, in addition to the comprehensive work of the Leadership Team with members of our faculty and staff, we share with you a new declaration of our continued commitment to our students, families, alumni and faculty/staff that pursuing the ideals of diversity, equity and inclusion is rooted in making us an excellent school.
Goal 2: Ethics and Character Formation
- 2016-17: Finalization of the Columbus Academy Strategic Vision
- 2017-18: Goal 2 Implementation Committee Development
- 2018-19: Year-long Cultural Competency Training and Professional Development for faculty/staff
- 2019-20: Identification of Teacher-Leaders for Curriculum Review and Goal setting
- 2020-21: Development of Racial Competency Standards and Explorer-Grade 12 Scope and Sequence
Details of Goal 2 from our Strategic Vision
Elevating students’ insight into difference, ethics and character formation through reflective discovery about self and others and active implementation of cultural competencies.
- Teach the value of difference and ethics through elements of cultural competency that emphasize skills, attitudes and knowledge needed to engage in a pluralistic society and ever-changing world.
- Create ample moments for leadership and citizenship by specifically focusing on responsibility for, growth in and ownership of one’s work.
- Oblige students of the responsibilities of community membership through greater attention to the work, on their behalf, that provides an excellent learning environment.