Updated: May 27, 2020
Columbus Academy, in accordance with the State of Ohio K-12 response toward COVID-19, has transitioned to online learning for the remainder of the 2019-20 school year. Commencement is being planned for Saturday, July 27, with more details to come closer to that date.
Our campus will not host any Summer Experience programs in 2020. For the announcement of that decision and the reasoning behind it, please click on the "What Is Going to Happen in the Fall" letter from our Head of School below.
Operationally, all offices are still working remotely from 8:00 a.m. until 4:30 p.m. on weekdays. If you have questions or need to contact anyone, please reference our Faculty & Staff Directory or email firstname.lastname@example.org.
We are monitoring the COVID-19 situation carefully while taking proactive measures to safeguard the health of our community members in accordance with the guidance provided by the Ohio Department of Health (ODH), Center for Disease Control and Prevention (CDC), World Health Organization (WHO) and National Association of Independent Schools (NAIS). You can find links to coronavirus information from these organizations and others by scrolling to the bottom of this page.
Designed to provide convenient access to reliable information resources regarding COVID-19 in general, as well as timely updates specific to our school’s response and planning efforts, this page will be updated regularly as new information becomes available.
Communications from Head of School
What Is Going to Happen in the Fall 5/18/20
"As of now we have seven scenarios that range from having all students in school on our campus (scenario 1) to having all K-12 school campuses closed by the state and being completely online in our learning (scenario 7). In scenarios 2-6 (blended learning of both in-person and online), we are examining every aspect of school including our physical campus, our school calendar, daily schedules, programming and social habits as they may require modifications based on recommendations from national, state and local health authorities. Given the lack of predictability of these times, we are expecting to use whatever scenario our circumstances call for during the next year."
Announcing the Academy Community Fund 4/24/20
"The school has established the Academy Community Fund with the purpose of providing a bridge in the form of a one-time grant toward tuition and fees for families experiencing substantial and unforeseen hardship due to the COVID-19 pandemic."
Online Learning for Remainder of This School Year 4/20/20
"Earlier today, Governor Mike DeWine announced that all of Ohio's K-12 schools will continue online learning for the remainder of this school year. Out of the safety of our students and families, Columbus Academy will comply with this order."
We Will Get Through This Together 4/9/20
"Rest assured that my colleagues and I are pouring over all these questions in addition to doing everything we can to ensure that we are able retain and pay our exceptional faculty and staff while also planning for increased affordability measures through financial aid during such a complicated and unpredictable financial landscape. Given the complexity of decision-making and the fierce headwinds so many of us are facing, I am incredibly grateful for your patience, flexibility and support as we continue to deliberate each and every issue."
There Is No Time Like the Present 4/3/20
"Compassion, integrity and fairness – all key character traits in a Columbus Academy education – are what we need to exercise most when the world seems to have dealt us a particular blow. Just one glance at the faded ghosts of school activities populating my calendar with a spring that will never be causes a realization that there is no time like the present to practice bringing out our better selves."
Checking In With Academy Families 3/27/20
"I hope all of you are staying safe as we adapt to these new normals of physical distancing and sheltering in place, for now. You should be hearing from division heads this afternoon with more details of next week's transition to online learning, but first I'd like for you to watch this brief video recorded from my living room by my son Phil, a current Academy senior."
Online Learning Will Begin on March 30 3/16/20
"We will begin to roll out online learning for every grade. Students and parents can expect a continuum, from establishing connections on March 30 to full scheduled learning by Friday, April 3... Regarding spring sports, all of the school's athletic facilities are closed until April 6, when we tentatively will allow practices and seasons to resume."
Follow-Up to Governor DeWine's Announcement 3/12/20
"Please act in the best interests of our entire community as we all manage these incredible and inconvenient circumstances. Over this break, we strongly encourage you to check on our fellow families and provide support for each other in what are sure to be anxious times for many."
Coronavirus Update from Head of School 3/10/20
"For anyone in our community who is traveling this month, we strongly encourage you to monitor travel alerts from the CDC and to remain attentive to the elevation of the risk assessment for individual countries. In fact, the CDC has recently sent out a warning specifically about cruises. Regardless of where you travel in the coming weeks, please remember to adhere to CDC guidelines for staying healthy and please stay home if you do not feel well. Your participation in the safety of our community is paramount."
Health Concerns Note from Head of School 2/28/20
"I want to urge you to help children understand that, at the moment, the ways we have all been taught to prevent the spread of germs (washing hands often, covering coughs and sneezes with an elbow or tissue, not sharing drinks and food, and -- most importantly -- staying home when you are sick) are still crucial in preventing illness, and they continue to be important social cues of sharing in the responsibility of a tight-knit community during a time when people feel panicky about the flu or viruses."
Division-Specific Communications & Resources
- Upper School Updated Final Events 5/27/20
- Upper School Year-End Events 5/17/20
- Upper School End-of-Week 2 Letter 4/10/20
- Upper School End-of-Week 1 Letter 4/3/20
- Message from Upper School Psychologist Suzanne Ritter 4/1/20
- Upper School Online Learning Resource Guide
- Upper School Update - Online Schedule & Guidelines 3/27/20
- Upper School Update - Online Learning 3/23/20
- Upper School Update - Access to School 3/17/20
- "Things to Do" for Upper School Families (continually updated)
- Middle School Year-End Events 5/17/20
- Middle School Start-of-Week 7 Letter 5/11/20
- Middle School Start-of-Week 6 Letter 5/2/20
- Middle School Start-of-Week 5 Letter 4/26/20
- Middle School End-of-Week 2 Letter 4/10/20
- Middle School End-of-Week 1 Letter 4/3/20
- Message from Middle School Counselor Shekyra DeCree 4/3/20
- Online Learning Day 1 Message from Mr. Arnold 3/30/20
- Online Learning Schedule for Grade 8
- Online Learning Schedule for Grade 7
- Online Learning Schedule for Grade 6
- Middle School Online Learning Overview
- Middle School Update - Online Schedule & Guidelines 3/27/20
- Middle School Update - Online Learning 3/23/20
- Middle School Update - Access to School 3/17/20
- "Parent Guide" Article (by Sam Chaltain)
- Middle School Library Google Classroom (students received access code from Mrs. Nockowitz)
- Lower School Memorial Day Letter 5/25/20
- Lower School Year-End Events 5/17/20
- Lower School Start-of-Week 7 Letter 5/10/20
- Lower School Start-of-Week 6 Letter 5/2/20
- Lower School Start-of-Week 5 Letter 4/26/20
- Lower School End-of-Week 2 Letter 4/10/20
- Lower School End-of-Week 1 Letter 4/3/20
- Online Learning Day 1 Message from Mr. Hansen 3/30/20
- Lower School Online Learning Overview
- Lower School Update - Online Schedule & Guidelines 3/27/20
- Lower School Update - Online Learning 3/23/20
- Take-Home Packets for Lower School Families 3/17/20
- Take-Home Packet Signup Form (for March 17, 18 & 29)
- "Things to Do" for Lower School Families (continually updated)
- "Parent Guide" Article (by Sam Chaltain)
COVID-19 Health & Wellness Updates
Helpful sources of information from the Columbus Academy nurses, who are available by email at email@example.com or mobile phone during normal school hours (8:00 a.m. to 4:30 p.m.) at 614-332-2764 for Beckie Hoagland and 614-496-9591 for Janet Fireman, and Academy's wellness team:
COVID-19 Safe Behavior & Tips for Teens During Reopening (Child Mind Institute)
Message on Crisis & Grief (Dr. Suzanne Ritter)
Parent Handbook on Childhood & Teen Depression (Erika's Lighthouse)
3 Steps to Smoother Sailing in Choppy Waters (Dr. Michael Maddaus)
How to Protect Yourself & Others (Centers for Disease Control and Prevention)
Use of Cloth Face Coverings to Help Slow the Spread of COVID-19 (Centers for Disease Control and Prevention)
What Coronavirus Symptoms Look Like, Day By Day (Science Insider)
Top 5 Things You Can Do to Prepare for COVID-19 (Ohio Department of Health)
Steps to Help Prevent the Spread of COVID-19 If You Are Sick (Centers for Disease Control and Prevention)
What You Need to Know About COVID-19 (Allergy & Asthma Network)
A Closer Look at COVID-19, Allergies and the Flu (Allergy & Asthma Network)
- Coronavirus Disease (COVID-19) Advice for the Public: Myth Busters (World Health Organization)
- Technology Needs for Online Learning 3/13/20
"We are reaching out to ensure that each student's technology needs will be met if Columbus Academy moves to an online learning model at any point this school year...If students are unable to log into these resources from home, please let their teachers, advisors or our technology team (firstname.lastname@example.org) know so we may assist."
- Technology Needs for Online Learning 3/13/20
How to Talk to Children About COVID-19
How to Talk to Your Anxious Child About the Coronavirus (from Psychology Today)
How to Talk to Your Kids About the Coronavirus Outbreak (from Time Magazine)
Talking to Children About COVID-19: A Parent Resource (from National Association of School Psychologists)
"How To" Video Series
Columbus Academy is launching a "How To" video series. We encourage all members of our community to tap into their skills and knowledge by suggesting and submitting instructional videos on tasks, activities and recipes others could benefit from during these most unusual times. Please send submissions and suggestions to email@example.com. Remember, we are all in this together!
- How to Improve Work-from-Home Ergonomics (by Dr. Kyle Alexander '02)
- How to Make Broccoli Cheese Soup (by Stephanie Campbell)
- How to Improve Your Ball-Handling Skills (by Jeff Warstler)
- How to Stretch & Relieve Tension Through Yoga (by Chad Underwood '04)
- How to Break Into Professional Acting (by Will Westwater '12)
- How to Improve Your Whole Health (by Dr. Paige Gutheil Henderson '94)
- How to Make General Tso's Chicken (by Stephanie Campbell)
- How to Improve Your Basketball Shooting (by Jeff Warstler)
- How to Make Toffee & Chocolate Matzo (by Stephanie Campbell)
- How to Participate in Our #FFWalk Every Friday (by Bob Lee)
- How to Follow Academy on Social Media (by Jeremy Morgan)
- How to Cut Children's Hair (by Kayleigh Rice)
- Simple At-Home Recipes and Cooking Tips (from SAGE Dining Services)