Current COVID-19 Cases Affecting our Campus
Lower School Students: 4
Middle School Students: 0
Upper School Students: 0
Faculty/Staff Members: 0
Contracted Employees: 0
Athletic Coaches: 0
If you have any questions or concerns related to COVID and your family's health, please contact our school nurses by emailing them at email@example.com or by calling their mobile numbers: 614-332-2764 for Beckie Hoagland or 614-496-9591 for Janet Fireman.
- COVID Vaccine Clinic for Ages 5-11
- Q&A about COVID-19 Vaccines
- Academy Discussion with Dr. Joseph Gastaldo
Update from COVID Response Team
As we prepare to begin the 2021-22 school year at Columbus Academy, we are considering all aspects of what is best for our community. Everyone on campus is working hard to strike a balance between holding classes and activities safely for our students, children, faculty, staff, parents and visitors while striving to provide the excellent experience for all that is a hallmark of an Academy education.
We are pleased to be able to start this academic year fully in-person and with many “normal” school and community events making a return to our daily lives. As already communicated, while we are starting the year in masks – indoors for everyone on our campus – we are looking forward to full classrooms, the return to a “regular” pre-COVID lunch schedule and routine, holding assemblies and performances in the theatre, being able to attend athletic events and experiencing many more traditional school year rites of passage.
It is in this spirit of cooperation and community-mindedness that we ask you to:
- Keep your children home when they are not feeling well and have any symptoms consistent with a contagious illness such as COVID-19.*
- If anyone in your household is experiencing symptoms of COVID or been exposed to someone who has tested positive for the coronavirus – whether vaccinated or unvaccinated – notify the school nurses at firstname.lastname@example.org or by calling 614-509-2234 (office), 614-332-2764 (Beckie Hoagland’s cell) or 614-496-9591 (Janet Fireman’s cell) for further instructions.*
- Wear masks or face coverings while in campus buildings as advised by local health officials.*
- Respond to any calls, requests or updates from the school regarding the health of your children.
- Support these expectations within your circles of influence, understanding that we all have important roles to play in setting an example for others during this time when the need for cooperation and care for others is of paramount importance.
*We will again be following the recommendations and guidance of the CDC, Ohio Department of Health, Franklin County Public Health and the American Academy of Pediatrics in our protocols, practices and decisions for this school year.
At athletic practices and contests for our middle and upper school teams, masks will not be required outdoors or for student-athletes and coaches during indoor practices/contests while they are actively participating. Masks are required for spectators at all indoor events.
Please click on the following links for further information about how Columbus Academy will be managing the start of the 2021-22 school year:
- COVID-19 Mitigation Strategies and Protocols
- Upper School Details
- Middle School Details
- Lower School Details
Thank you, in advance, for your help in allowing us to have a positive, healthy and fruitful school year at Columbus Academy.
COVID Response Team
Erich Hunker, Assistant Head of School for Development and External Relations
Beckie Hoagland, School Nurse
Janet Fireman, School Nurse
Tim Williams, Director of Campus Safety and Security
Harland Young, Director of Buildings and Grounds
Communications from Head of School
Mask Policy for Start of 2021-22 School Year 8/6/21
"We can’t wait to begin the year with all our students on campus the very first day, full assemblies, robust athletics and performing arts, and complete in-person classes just the way Columbus Academy is designed to be. Parents will be able to visit and volunteer on campus as they have in the past, and our community will feel recognizable as the warm, generous, enthusiastic place it is. To accomplish this start, we are having all students and adults on our campus, regardless of vaccination status, wear masks while indoors. Assuming mask-wearing will be a temporary circumstance as Franklin County gets control of the rising numbers of the virus and as we begin to learn the percentage of our daily population that is vaccinated, the school will notify you of the changing status of COVID protocols throughout the fall."
Division-Specific Communications & Resources
COVID-19 Health & Wellness Updates
Helpful sources of information from the Columbus Academy nurses, who are available by email at email@example.com or mobile phone during normal school hours (8:00 a.m. to 4:30 p.m.) at 614-332-2764 for Beckie Hoagland and 614-496-9591 for Janet Fireman, and Academy's wellness team:
COVID Guidance for K-12 Schools (Ohio Department of Health)
How to Talk to Children About COVID-19
How to Talk to Your Anxious Child About the Coronavirus (from Psychology Today)
How to Talk to Your Kids About the Coronavirus Outbreak (from Time Magazine)
Helping Children Cope with Changes Resulting from COVID (from National Association of School Psychologists)